Thursday, November 10, 2011

So we go there...


The title came about as Alexandra Beller thumbed through my journal and skimmed the quotes on the bottom of each page - a precious gift from my fellow grad students at Oregon on my graduation day. Little did I know that the seemingly random quote we settled on (and the first she read aloud) would come to mean so much as my creative flow took me into a world of tragedy surrounded by a community of women, both weak and strong, dealing with an experience that affects each and every one of them.

Recently, I've been in awe of words written by a friend and decided that this work needed a sort of narrative that could be used both in print and verbally. I sent her a clip of the first version of "With Bated Breath" as a background of where I'm coming from, with a prompt of women dealing with tragedy. Her excited response of where she could go with this only made my blood flow faster as I impatiently await the time and opportunity to continue working on this piece.

For now it will start with a solo/duet between myself and the lovely Erin Cella. As of now, I'm imagining that we'll introduce you to one character who is alone, or at least thinks she is, as she physically attempts to make meaning out of the sadness she has experienced. Even in real life it takes a while to let someone see you, or allow them to help you through difficult times. This is where our second character comes in. A nurturing soul who quietly observes her sister - a silent shield, protecting her from further anguish. Although her presence has been known, she steps in with an attempt to provide solace. As the broken character begins to slightly heal and come back to the present, she begins to see that she isn't the only one who needs help.

No comments:

Post a Comment